Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Java Generics are Rude

"Uncle Bob" talks about the new Java generics here and here

When I see the "pain", the , I need to ask myself why?
Does Sun think: "Oh, this is straight forward. We can do this. This will make the life of our customers (developers) much better."

Some people are really obsessed with static-typing. They really think static-typing is safe.
On recent discussion I said that dynamic-typing requires more "common sense" than static-typing.

The whole duck-typing (and the lack of interfaces) implies a more polite discussion between the
API provider and the API customer: a more careful choice of naming, a more consequent API documentation. And probably the lack of IntelliSense improves this politeness, since the communication is based on mutual trust, and not on tools capabilities (but that's another story).

But the Java samples are really, really "rude". Instead of concentrating on the solution, I need
to understand the difference between , , and the whole generic-baggage. The generics don't show me the solution, they hide it from me. They are like a chatty guy, who is wasting my time with all-kind-of-nonsense.

Here is the James Robertson Smalltalk (civilized) solution:
initialize: aList
list := aList.

add: aThing
list add: aThing.

handle
list do: [:eachItem | "code to do stuff here"].

No comments: